Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Egg on my face

Buttercup and I have had a very busy weekend, and most of the time was spent with me not sleeping and her screaming in my ear.
Why, you ask? Because I screwed up, I respond.
You see, for all of my parenting expertise gained from constant research used for my articles and blogging, I still managed to mess up a basic principal regarding how soon certain foods should be introduced.
I'm a stickler with my family about not giving her this or she has to wait for that, but I still went and gave her scrambled eggs for breakfast on Sunday and Monday. B-A-A-A-D move on my part. You see, until they are one year old, babies should get no more than the yolk, as their teeny systems are not yet ready to handle the protein in the whole egg.
duh!
The little princess screamed her little head off as the effects of my screw-up played havoc with her tummy; gas, diarrhea, a raging diaper rash, and an all-around pissed-off baby were my reminder to follow all the rules from now on, no matter what anyone suggests.
We went to the pediatrician today, and I am now focusing my parenting efforts on soothing Buttercup's bum with a solution for 15 minutes, three times a day. And changing her diaper right now is an absolute nightmare.
Right now, she is peacefully sleeping and I am trying to get caught up with work.
Ahhh, the joys of parenting.

1 comment:

sara said...

Who would have thought a egg white could do that to a little one? I think Buttercup must share Mr L's. sensitivity on foods and your skin irritations. See no one can say you two stole her at the hospital or that she is the milk man's baby. I would probably have been giving her even worse things since she's so close to a year old, so see...I'm glad she has you for a mommy and not me :-) I hope she feels better soon!