Thursday, June 26, 2008

Book Tour Review: The Pregnancy Journal


I am very excited to participate in the current Mother Talk Book Tour for The Pregnancy Journal: A Day-to-Day Guide to a Healthy and Happy Pregnancy by A. Chrstine Harris, Ph.D. I realize that my reviews and contests have moved over to Berrie Sweet Picks, but I signed up for this tour before that blog went live, so Deadlines and Diapers readers get a special treat.

The Pregnancy Journal has sold over a million copies, and I can see why. For one, it actually looks like a journal, and the sweet spiral-bound packaging, along with the soothing image of a mother and child on the cover make this a comforting place to get answers and record thoughts.

But this book is more than just a blank canvas. It's filled with helpful information on every possible stage of pregnancy (along with your baby's daily development) and divided by months, weeks, days, making it easy to pinpoint where you and your body are on the pregnancy journey.

Facts are stated in a straight-forward and easy-to-read manner, covering everything from nutrition to to medical data to childbirth customs in other cultures. One especially nice feature is the "Childbirth Then and Now" snippets, which put the miracle of pregnancy in perspective for today's moms-to-be.

I also like the weekly section for notes and "How are you feeling today?" If you are very wordy, you may want to invest in a traditional journal to accompany The Pregnancy Journal, but if one liners are enough for you, this is perfect for capturing the essence of your experience.

What would mine have looked like?

* Mood: Excited but miss seeing my feet!
* Energy: Tired. All.The.Time.
* Appetite: Wendy's is my new addiction.
* Baby Movement: Only when I sleep. Figures.
* Morning Sickness: Hyperemesis, anyone?


I'll admit that I spent countless hours at the bookstore and online while pregnant in search of the perfect pregnancy book to immortalize my anxieties and joys, but I missed the mark on that one because I didn't come home with The Pregnancy Journal.

So, in an effort to save another mother from regret by getting her the right one on the first try, I'm giving way one copy of The Pregnancy Journal right here. Just leave me a comment telling me if the book is a gift or for yourself and when the baby is due!
Contest ends at midnight (EST) on July 2.


Photobucket

21 comments:

fuzzypeach said...

This journal sounds great. I would use it during my next pregnancy - we're trying for baby number two!

peachfuzzy @ gmail . com

sara said...

Count me in too! I find it hard to find a book about IVF, unicornuate uterus, previas, and incompetent cervixes with cerclages. Perhaps you should write one for me?

Due date Dec 8th
bauman.sara@gmail.com

Melissa said...

I agree, the journal sounds like a great tool! This would be great for me since my husband and I will begin trying for our first in the next year.
jeepcutie82 at msn dot com

Andrea @ Momma in Flip Flops2 said...

I'd love to win this for myself... I'm not due yet.. but we are planning. =) I've always wanted one of thse. Thanks.

Alice H said...

It would be for me - I'm due in September with my first. Thanks for the contest! afdr3d@umkc.edu

Unknown said...

I'm preggo right now so this book I would definately use for myself and backtrack to keep track of what happened in this preggo (its my 3rd!) we are adding this bloggy's badge to my site! We have been having tons of fun in Buttercup's Birthday Bash!

We are due September 14th with a baby girl!

phillipsonlygirl (at) gmail (dot) com

Mary512 said...

I would give this to one of my best friends who just got pregnant. Great giveaway, thanks!

Courtney said...

I would use the journal as a gift. I have a friend who is trying to get pregnant and another who is pregnant.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to give this to my best friend's daughter who just had a baby last night! He's 10 pounds, 10 ounces, a biggie!

doot65{at}comcast[dot]net

Bunny B said...

Sounds like a useful book! I'd love to gift this to my friend who's due in December. Thanks!

bunnybox9 at gmail . com

Jennifer Bogart said...

This baby is due, two days ago ;). But I am praying we'll be blessed again after this one (our third) is born.

Ginny said...

I had this for my 2nd pregnancy & loved it. I have a friend that just found out she is pregnant, would love to give her this gift!

Cloudsters said...

Sounds like worthwhile reading for anyone who's preggers. When carrying our Sonny, the best book we came across was that old standard, What to expect when expecting. Also had sections divided by month.

DunnRight said...

When I was pregnant all I did was read pregnancy books and articles online. This looks like a good one for my next pregnancy!

Jess said...

We are preparing to get pregnant and I need all the help I can get! It sounds like a great journal! Thanks!

speakthetruth said...

My hubby and I are planning to begin trying in 6 weeks, so this journal would be right on time!

speakthetruth said...

My hubby and I plan to start TTC in 6 weeks, so this journal would be a timely and welcome gift!

Johnny and Alisha said...

I have used one of these journals with my previous two pregnancies and they're great! I'd either keep this one for myself for later this year, or give it to my preggo friend.

Pauline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pauline said...

thanks for entering everyone! I randomly drew a winner (alice) and she has four days to get back to me with her address.
good luck to everyone on their pregnancies and with their new little ones!

Unknown said...

This would be a gift for my daughter. Number 2 is on the way and she's already said one thing she regrets is not being able to remember everything from her first pregnancy. She wants a baby book that she can write all of the "before baby is here" things in but I don't think it exists. The perfect solution is the Pregnancy Journal. Then (for number THREE!!!) she can look back on the glorious days after morning sickness and before all-night feedings. If only she could look back on them from her first pregnancy, it would make this one much easier!
christyd8(at)bellsouth(dot)net