Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Midnight worries

Chaulk it up to too many screaming matches with Buttercup when it came to her and her crib, but I finally decided to take the mattress out and put it on the floor as a "test toddler bed."

And lo and behold, she's sleeping still. It's been 4 hours and this is a record.
This may not sound like much, but I've been going my own special kind of crazy for a few months now. Buttercup sleeps with us a lot at night, which is fine with us, but naps were getting to be an issue. I couldn't put her on our bed without someone watching her, and I sure as hell didn't have time to nap with her twice a day. But rocking her for 45 minutes only to have her wake up screaming in pure terror once her body was over the crib was just not working.

It happened each and every time, and amazed everyone who saw it. We could get her out of the car seat, into the house, undressed, and she'd sleep through it all. But that crib always woke her up and she wasn't having any of it.

I did try crying it out, for the record. If you want to comment and tell me that I let me daughter run things or should have let her scream (and I mean scream) for more than 2 hours (because she wasn't stopping at 2 hours)while standing and desperately holding on to the crib rail, go ahead. I'll post it, but I'm also going to tell you that you can kiss my ass.

It may have worked for you. It did not work for me. End of story.

So here we are with Buttercup successfully having made it through a nap today AND a big part of the night alone on her little mattress bed. Okay, okay...I did lay down on the floor next to her and let her hold my hand, but she was asleep in less than 5 minutes, which is way less than 45, and that made me happy. Give me a week and she may be falling asleep completely on her own!

So my little princess is in dreamland and I'm sitting here at 2:30 a.m. blogging about it because I can't sleep. I'm tired enough, but I can't stop wondering what she's going to do if she wakes up in the middle of the night. We have the gate up to block the stairs...

And she's awake. Time to snuggle up.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I loved having a toddler bed for Trevin it worked great !
It was so cute with the matching nightstand. But now that he has outgrown the toddler bed we used getting a Big Boy Bed as leverage to keep dry thru the entire night and that worked great as well.